Doreen's Reviews > Edison Landrake

Edison Landrake by Felicity Lennie

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: favorite-novels, felicity-lennie-novels
Read in May, 2012

Felicity Lennie took me into her novel on the first few pages. I can still picture a 'rocky sea,' a 'sky lark hovering over the gorse-covered cliff, its evening song piercing the balmy breeze.' It felt as if I were the running figure who stopped to catch his breath and 'take in the phenomenal view.' What happened next happened to this runner, though, caught me unawares and brought me back down to earth, to a realization of unexpected events that occur in life. The plot began.
Thinking that Chapter Two would keep me into the tailspin of the plot, I turned the page in expectation and..found a breath of fresh air: a vivid description of sea and sky from a 'lumpy headland stuck out, barren save for the ravaged, lonely tree.' This was the favorite spot on earth of our hero, Private Detective Edison, and his dog, Ginger. The plot and subplots in this novel are finely woven, presenting a flavorful tapestry of down-to-earth English country folk within a swirling mix of genteel and quirky characters.
Edison, his terminally ill wife, Hazel, a young friend from Hazel's group, Bruno, and Ginger take off 'on holiday' to Cornwall, specifically to Nanspriggan and a delightful cottage surrounded by a vast garden. What an idyllac place from which to conduct an investigation into our runner's unexpected end. The author's descriptions of the countryside, the Cornish coastal cliffs and the quirky characters are vivid. Her threads within the plot are enticingly seductive and cleverly woven. For readers like me, however, there was a gift in this mystery novel. It is Fel Lennie's ability to intricately weave undertones of concern and worry in Edison and the sense of acceptance that Hazel and Bruno have with regard to their terminally ill conditions, that stayed with me throughout my read. I found myself nodding in recognition of their need for extra rest. I reveled in each instance of heart-felt connection that Hazel and Bruno had with other characters. A special touch....I won't give away the ending. The nuances surrounding the initial murder kept me in suspense and offered tidbits of surprises. The last chapter is endearing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edison Landrake.