Amy's Reviews > The Humming Room

The Humming Room by Ellen Potter

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, j-mystery
Read in April, 2012

This is a lovely little book based on the Secret Garden. Roo is sent to live with her Uncle Emmett after her father and his girlfriend are killed as a result of their involvement in the drug world. Roo tries to crush down her feelings, preferring to curl up in small spaces where she only has to focus on her limited surroundings. She isn't sure how to react to her new home, which is a former sanitarium located on an island in the Hudson River. At first everything feels too huge and overwhelming -- not to mention the talk of the ghosts of former sanitarium residents. But Roo grows to love the island, especially after she finds an abandoned garden in the center of the sanitarium. She throws herself into trying to bring it back to life, but the garden holds a terrible secret -- a secret that Roo isn't supposed to find out. The story is filled with tantalizing questions that keep the pages turning: Are there really ghosts in the sanitarium? Why does Uncle Emmett want to keep her out of the garden? And what is that strange humming noise that she keeps hearing?

This is a beautifully written book. The creepy setting held massive appeal for me -- I do love a good ghost story, although I must say that I was a little disappointed in the supernatural element (or lack thereof). The ending felt a little abrupt, although everything was tied up nicely enough. What I love most about this book, though, is that it will hopefully inspire readers to pick up The Secret Garden. I already have it loaded onto my Kindle, and plan to tackle it soon!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Humming Room.