Alice's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Apr 20, 12

Read from April 11 to 20, 2012

"Flipping the boot to study its interior he said solemnly, ‘The skill and patience involved with the making of this boot humbles me.’"

AGH this book kicks ass.

It's narrated by one of the brothers (Eli Sisters) and what immediately stands out is how articulate both the brothers are, despite their roughshod type of life. They're hired gun working for a man named the Commodore, whose presence is felt throughout the novel, and the level of discourse they share is almost unbelievable, if only because it frequently reminds me of Major Garland Briggs on Twin Peaks.

So you have the well-spoken if violent brothers, and then their slow ride south from Oregon to San Francisco, where they encounter -- to use a cliche -- memorable characters and a few bears. I got excited about the bears, but they're not actually in it that much.

It feels like one of those books that was well-researched, but the author didn't feel the need to shove all his research into the book. There aren't any historical figures that I remember, but the setting feels authentic. He puts in details you wouldn't normally think about, but which highly add to it feeling like the 1850s.

It's awesome. Read it.

"I thought, We can all of us be hurt, and no one is exclusively safe from worry and sadness."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.

04/11/2012 page 46
14.0% "This book is excellent and all should probably read it."
04/18/2012 page 164
50.0% "This really is amazingly good. Like, one of those books that's just objectively a well-written, awesome book."

message 1: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em Elle You convinced me.

Alice Swish!

message 3: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Granger WHERE IS MY FREE COPY OF THIS I NEED TO READ IT NOW. (brb...I have to go yell at Brooks.)