Pamela's Reviews > Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

F_50x66
Apr 11, 12

Read in March, 2012

I chose this book for book club since it seemed like the perfect combination... a memoir by a woman my age about life in a foreign country. I usually love books based in another country -- where I can learn how it is living in a place I would never be able to visit -- and it made it even more attractive that it was an actual memoir versus a fiction novel. However, despite recommendations from a number of people, I felt this book fell flat. First off, the book was choppy going back and forth between present day, when the author was a young girl, and when the author was older and attending boarding school. And the book seemed to just relay little stories of places the author had lived rather than being a comprehensive work with a story. Although many reviews noted the humor in the book, I failed to notice any humor... the book just seemed to go on and on with more and more stories. The most interesting part of the book was learning more about what was going on in Africa, but I felt this could have been more detailed to give the reader a clear picture of why Zimbabwe (or Zambia or Mozambique or Malawi) were how they were as well as the differences between the Dutch and the English settlers.

Really, this book just left me confused... confused about the order of the stories, confused about what was going on in Africa, and confused why someone would settle in such a place when they would be a lot more comfortable in England.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.