Eli Brooke's Reviews > Iron Council

Iron Council by China Miéville

May 16, 12

Read from April 11 to May 14, 2012

I loved Perdido Street Station and The Scar so much, I really wanted this third in the Bas-Lag books to be as compelling, but it was really hard to maintain my interest through the first 2/3rds. I kept on and I'm glad I did because it got more interesting in the last third, but... I don't know. A lot of other reviewers say it's too sprawling, and I think that's part of the problem -- one person said the "character" of place was missing, and I think that might be true as well. The idea of the perpetual train is fascinating, but so much more of the story of finding it again and then how it came to be was told that just... wasn't that interesting. And the revolutionary goings-on in New Crobuzon were kinda interesting but again, I think the set-up just went on too long, and I found it hard to really care about any of the characters.

It's been too long since I read PSS to comment on that, but one of the things I realized I loved about The Scar in retrospect was all the stories & background info that weren't told. I didn't really like the main character in The Scar but I understood her really well from the way her story was told, and I didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters in this book. I feel like there was too much investment in ideas and not enough in the story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Council.