holly's Reviews > Nights in Rodanthe

Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

Apr 11, 12

Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy

I feel bad giving this book 3 stars, because i totally knew what i was getting in to. I wanted a quick easy book that didn't require too much effort or emotional response on my part, and despite everyone talking about how N. Sparks tugs at their heart strings, I happen to be an exception. However, I had to give only 3 stars because I cannot stand when stories are like "we're madly in love all the sudden, and you better believe it because it's true, even though there's very little evidence or build up explaining why this happened." and this is exactly what NIR was. The beginning was actually good. I enjoyed it. The inn, the seclusion, the storm, etc etc. but to me it was, like, two lonely people clinging to each other. the 4 scenes that displayed their "connection" just didn't do it for me. And would it have killed Sparks to go into a little detail about Paul's time in Ecuador with his son? All we have is one sappy letter from the son about their time there and we're expected to be both devastated and warmed inside at their relationship developments and then the loss that occurred?
Anyway, it was a good thing to read at the beach I suppose.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nights in Rodanthe.