babyhippoface's Reviews > Tracing Stars

282057
Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: kids-fiction
Read in July, 2012

*NOTE: I started writing this review, then got side-tracked by one surgery, one staph infection, and one stomach virus. I'm having a hard time remembering everything I originally wanted to say here. Just read this one, okay? Trust me. It's good. Even the lobster part.

Never read a book about a lobster before. Especially not about a pet lobster. A pet lobster named The Lobster Monty Cola. So this felt awkward for me, right from the beginning. People keep lobsters as pets? But I am not a coastal child, so what do I know?

Indie Lee Chickory is the local "fish freak". She's an expert in making a stunning variety of fish faces. She can recite species of fish in alphabetical order, and she does so whenever she needs to calm herself. Her sister, Bebe, used to make fish faces with her. Now Bebe thinks all of Indie's fish-related interests are embarrassing. Bebe wants to be a star, and her sister's weird behavior might just keep her from becoming one.

When Bebe lands the role of Brigitta in a local production of The Sound of Music, she decides it's time for a new Indie. She needs to wear certain clothes, fix her hair a certain way, and be friends with certain people. Which does not include Owen, a weirdo kid who works backstage. But Indie thinks Owen is fun and smart, and he helps her look for her lost lobster, Monty Cola, every night. So she keeps her friendship with him secret. Not so hard most of the time. But when those two worlds collide, more than one heart is broken. Luckily, hearts can be repaired with enough kindness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tracing Stars.