Katy's Reviews > The Company of the Dead

The Company of the Dead by David Kowalski

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, alternate-history, time-travel
Read from April 18 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Mostly fast-paced and action-packed with fun characters. The book is long - and it does lag a bit in some parts - but I zipped right through it. I really enjoyed the book, which was a little surprising to me. I was looking for fiction set on the Titanic, and was a little dismayed to find the action shifted from the ship fairly quickly (interestingly, the Titanic parts seemed very well-researched). However, I was immediately intrigued by the alternate world the author created. The characters drew my interest quickly, even if they aren't particularly well-developed. You get a good sense of them, and they each have a fairly distinctive voice, but I felt like I never really got to "know" any of them. What motivated their actions? Why were some so uncomfortable in their own skins? There seemed to be a lot of back story that was merely alluded to, rather than fully explained - half the story.

The book quickly shifted into an espionage thriller and it screamed along. I hardly noticed the fact that I had read 450 or so pages. Once the group gets to their final destination, though, it slows down quite a bit. The battle that takes place seemed to drag on - it runs for nearly 200 pages. Once the group gets the carapace up and running, though, it picked right back up again.

It wasn't a perfect book. Some elements of the time travel were not adequately explained, particularly toward the end. There is the aforementioned problem with the characters and a couple of other small things. All that aside, it was a lot of fun to read. I loved the resolution I got at the end. I enjoyed the loop idea, a singularly horrifying consequence of mucking about with time. The twists were suitably mind-bending. I enjoyed most of the characters. The action was fantastic and the world-building for the alternate timeline was great.

Bottom line? I would recommend this book to just about anyone. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Company of the Dead.

04/25/2012 page 461
62.0% "So far, it's great! Fast paced and excellent characters."