Kevin 's Reviews > Calico Joe

Calico Joe by John Grisham

Aug 20, 12

Read in August, 2012

Firstly, this was about the Cubs. Point scored. Secondly, this was written by Grisham. Another point scored. And lastly it was a fun, well written story with a great ending. A winner.

John Grisham writes a historical fiction of sorts with Calico Joe as he takes real places, major league baseball players / teams and weaves in fiction to make a great story. The time jumps back and forth between 1973 and present to bring you up to date on the lives of Paul Tracey, Warren Tracey and the legendary rookie Joe Castle. The story made me remember 1973 when I was 9 and a baseball lover (still am) and what it was like to have heroes playing in the MLB. The dysfunctional side of Paul Tracey's life was also familiar to me and that is what made the story compelling. Reconciliation and forgiveness is the theme for the second half of the book and that works well.

I read this book on one lazy Sunday and loved it. I was excited for every one of Joe's at-bats and cringed while reading the parts that were supposed to do that as well. If you are a baseball person you will love this. If you are not you will still find the story compelling and the ending satisfying. Thanks Mr. Grisham.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calico Joe.