Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥'s Reviews > The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Feb 27, 13

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal, dystopian, local-library, romance, reviewed
Recommended for: fans of Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken and Eden by Keary Taylor
Read from February 22 to 26, 2013

Although the idea of kids with superpowers has been done several times before, this is the first book I have read where the emergence of superpowers has brought about a dystopian power. I think it is realistic. If it happened on such a large scale, the public would panic. It is a terrifying but believable world that I really enjoyed. But like Alexandra Bracken's Brightly Woven, its best feature is the characters.

Most of the book focuses on Ruby and Liam and their friends on the road and evading capture. There isnt a lot going on until the end, besides the building of relationships. Ruby, Liam, Chubs, and Zu are all amazing characters, and they made such a tight little family in such a short time. I really hope they get reunited in Never Fade. All of them. And I loved the relationship between Ruby and Liam. How they never really talked about their feelings, they just happened. It was just like how things went between North and Syd in Brightly Woven. Here is a quote from my review for that.

"I love how neither of them ever says how they feel. Its just so natural that they dont need to. One day they just start holding hands as if its the most normal thing, without having to say a word about. And one day he refers to her as his, and she doesnt object. She responds as if its fact."

Similar? Definitely. What comes to mind first is the scene where they are sitting by the fire and Ruby sits between Liam's legs with her back to his chest. That is an intimate position and when she sits like that in front of everyone, it is making a statement. "I'm his." She didnt have to ask him first. They just knew. Although I think I prefer Brightly Woven a tad more than this, I find Liam more swoon-worthy than North.

The ending in this was sad, but I think what Ruby did made it less sad. I am trying not to spoil for those who havent read it, but I sort of saw the ending coming, minus the extra step Ruby took. I didnt see that coming, but I love that she did it. It made it a bit less painful. It was a tough decision, I'm sure, but at least someone is at peace. As long as its not permanent. Cannot wait till Never Fade!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Minds.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥ Liked

Alexandra Bracken
“They were never scared of the kids who might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us-the ones who lived.”

Alexandra Bracken
“Let's carpe the hell out of this diem.”

Alexandra Bracken
“Did you know...you make me so happy that sometimes I actually forget to breath? I'll be looking at you, and my chest will get so tight...and it's like, the only thought in my head is how much I want to reach over and kiss you.”

Alexandra Bracken
“It feels like we should do something," he said. "Like, send her off on a barge out to sea and set her on fire. Let her go out in a blaze of glory."
Chubs raised an eyebrow. "It's a minivan, not a Viking.”

Alexandra Bracken
“Ruby, give me one reason why we can’t be together, and I’ll give you a hundred why we can. We can go anywhere you want. I’m not your parents. I’m not going to abandon you or send you away, not ever.”

Alexandra Bracken
“When a girl cries, few things are more worthless than a boy.”

Alexandra Bracken
“No spinning," I said. I wasn't sure my head or heart could take it. Up close, he was so warm, and so beautiful. I was already dizzy enough.”

Alexandra Bracken
“...crackers..." a voice breathed out nehind us, "yesss..."
Both of us turned, watching as Chubs twisted around in his seat and settled back down, still fast asleep.
I pressed a hand over my mouth to keep from laughing. Liam rolled his eyes, smiling.
"He dreams about food," he said. "A lot.”

Alexandra Bracken
“We have no idea, but its not like we're going to win any awards for normalcy anytime soon. So you get into people's heads? The two of us can throw people around like toys. Zu once blew up an AC unit, and all she did was walk by it.”

02/22/2013 page 58
11.0% 2 comments
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brooke LOVED this book!

Brooke LOL!

Olivia This is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE books :) How are you liking it?

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥ Its really good. I wouldnt say its a new fave, but 4 stars for sure.