Heather's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Apr 11, 2012

Read in April, 2012

I waited to read this book until now so I could read it from the library. I didn't want to purchase it and I also wanted all the hype to die down. I had read things in the media about how mean and terrible the author is and went in thinking it was going to be difficult to read about how she treated her daughters. I am so glad I was wrong.

Amy Chua knows she was hard on her kids. She says it a lot. Yet, she is also just as hard on herself. She is overly involved in everything she made them do and not in a helicopter, oh, let me do that for you, kind of way. She expects them to do the work and to do it perfectly because she knows they can. She knew she was pushing them and she worried about how that would make them feel about her when they grew up. You see her back off and change how she deals with her youngest daughter in order to save that relationship. It's interesting the media never mentions that. I loved the fake sample interview she writes in the back about how the person doing the interview never really read the book and just based their opinions on what they'd read or heard in the media themselves.

I was fortunate to have parents who fell more toward Chinese mothers themselves. My parents did push me, but they didn't put in the time that Amy did with her children. And that is where Western parents differ the most for me - the ones who do push their children are pushing, but they're not actually taking part in the activity with them like Amy does with her kids. I expect my child to do well, but I am too lazy to do what Amy did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.