Stephanie's Reviews > Real Murders

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: mysteries

*4.5 stars*

I don't often read mysteries nowadays, but I loved the narrator's voice so much, it sucked me right in. I love librarian Aurora Teagarden, her intelligence, her sense of humor, and her deeply grounded, common sense attitude combined with her barely-hidden desire for adventure. I love her mom and her community, and for once, I'm actually really enjoying the love triangle Aurora is in.

(Normally, I really dislike love triangles and just have to shrug and cope with them when they appear in books I love for other reasons. Of course that's purely a personal quirk of my own as a reader, not any criticism of fictional love triangles in general - but I wanted to get that attitude of mine out into the open so that it would be clear just HOW MUCH it says about this love triangle that even I, a love-triangle-hater, actually enjoyed it!)

There were parts of this novel that were so creepy and chilling and even downright horrible, they felt all the more shocking against the coziness of the setting and Aurora's funny, wry voice - but it all worked together amazingly well, and I will definitely be hunting down all the rest of the books in this series.

The only reason I'm giving it 4.5 stars instead of 5 is that there's one years-old piece of significant info handed to Aurora from her lifelong best friend as fresh news - and I just couldn't believe that they wouldn't have discussed it years ago, since they were already best friends when the event in question actually happened. But that's a really tiny nit in a book that I otherwise loved.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Murders.

Jeni I tried to read the book but couldn't really get into it, but the audio book is great! I love the narrator, she is the best I've heard thus far, therefore I am enjoying this relatively unexciting selection.

Stephanie Jen wrote: "I tried to read the book but couldn't really get into it, but the audio book is great! I love the narrator, she is the best I've heard thus far, therefore I am enjoying this relatively unexciting ..."

I'm glad the audiobook is working for you! I couldn't get into the later books in this series, but I really did enjoy this first one.

Jeni Thanks, good to know that the following books aren't as good. I am thinking of moving on to the Lily Bard series; it seems to have great reviews.