Babs's Reviews > High Country Bride

1970552
Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: western, romance
Read in April, 2012

Emmeline leaves Kansas City behind as she wakes up to coins sitting beside the bed when she wakes up. She remember's a man she thinks his name is Holt, carrying her up to the bedroom of the brothel her aunt runs. Desperate to get a way from the humiliation she answers a mail order bride ad and heads to Texas as the wife of Rafe McKettrick.

Rafe doesn't meet Emmeline at the stage-coach but, his brother Jeb does. As they are standing there out flies Rafe out of the saloon which makes a wonderful impression in Emmeline who starts to wonder if she has made a mistake. After the two-hour ride from Indian Rock to the Triple M Ranch she was ready to rest.

When Rafe finally does show up at the ranch he already puts his foot in his mouth by telling Emmeline this is a partnership love does not comes into the picture. They start off pretty rocky and slowly things come together, but can Emmeline hold out the truth from her new husband or tell and risk losing him forever?

I love westerns and this book was recommended. I am glad I gave the author a chance as I loved the setting, you really do get a sense of being in Texas in the 1800's. The characters are well-formed, I love Rafe has no clue at times what Emmeline is thinking. Other times he can read her like a book. Just as they get closer things happen and they go back a step. I like learning about each family member and the situations they find themselves in.

I will be reading the rest of this series and check out her other work. I would add this to my re-read pile. It's fast paced yet romantic and full of suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Country Bride.