Melanie's Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

Jan 27, 2014

To say I thoroughly enjoyed Croak is an understatement. This book was brilliant and will appeal to many different readers. Humour, wit, sarcasm, adventure, paranormal, romance and lots of death.

The story follows Lex a delinquent in the largest sense of the word who is so angry with lift but doesn't understand why. After a discussion with her parents (Where she is tied to a chair for fear of biting them like she had her class mates) it is decided she will go to her Uncle Mort's for the Summer on his farm (Under duress). Unbeknown to the family Uncle Mort isn't really a farmer and is Mayor of Croak, a town where the Grim's of the area live and are trained and where Lex is destined to be.

The story was a little slow to start and in places jumps large periods of time, but this is made up for with quick wit and humour. Some of the deaths they have to attend are hilarious and so strange.

The characters are all very likeable. Lex, obviously is rather complex but throughout the story we learn more about her and see her growing up and coming into her own. I really love Mort, if I could have a down to earth uncle like him my childhood would have been filled with hilarious antics. Driggs is a complex character and a great match for Lex.

I liked the realism in parts of the story where when it need to be serious you could feel it change and feel the characters take this on board.

I really look forward to reading part 2 in the series later this year (September I believe). This was my first book by Gina Damico and I was very impressed. I would definitely recommend this book to others. Suitable for mid teens up, there is mentions of sex but its mild and nothing actually happens bar kissing.

I give this book 5 out of 5 because I consumed it so quickly and can't wait to read the sequel!

Review also featured on my blog - http://www.bewitchedbooks.co.uk/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.