Annalee Schnebele's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: dystopia, human-nature
Read in April, 2012

Ugh! How had I not read this book when I was doing dystopian lit circles. This book would have been perfect. Examining social values - check. Great, engaging plot - check. Plenty of things for teens to talk about - check.
This is a book that will hook teens on many different levels. You have teens fleeing for their lives. You have teens who have been abandoned and feel alone. You have a world where adults are horrible. You have a real mess based on a compromise. You have a look at what it means to be alive. You have a terrifying tale of technology and medical advancements gone wrong. You have heroes to root for and villians to curse.

I would highly recommend this book for students who like true dystopian science fiction (like Ender's Game, The House of the Scorpion, Uglies). This book would be most enjoyed by students in 8th - 10th grades - but those who love a good sci-fi dystopian novel will probably enjoy this as older students. This book would be an interesting one to use in a classroom - as long as you aren't going to have parents who freak out about any discussion of abortion.

I am excitedly waiting for the sequel to come out early next school year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.