Erin's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz   Moore

Apr 12, 12

Read in April, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. Liz Moore's two main characters - Arthur and Kel, are basically good people who are in difficult situations. Arthur is extremely overweight and agoraphobic. He's battling painful memories from the past that have basically kept him locked in a lonely existence for his entire adult life. Kel is a high school student and talented baseball player who shoulders the burden of caring for his physicially and emotionally ill mother, and also struggling to maintain the appearance of being at least middle class while attending a school with his much wealthier peers. My heart immediately went out to both Arthur and Kel, but as the story went on, I grew to really care about them. Moore revealed bits of her characters' past as the novel moved forward, which made me sympathize even more with the characters and drew me even further into their lives.

This isn't a novel where a great deal actually happens, but I was still hooked. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I think it's a sign of strong writing and great character development that I wanted more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.