Lynne Spreen's Reviews > I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: midlife
Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy

I laughed out loud while reading this fast, enjoyable little book. Ephron is an expert at making serious points dressed up in entertainment. For example, her account of graduating college and getting a job at Newsweek in the 1960s resonated for me. When we say we miss the good old days, here's what we're forgetting: a time when we girls could achieve a degree from a very good college and be rewarded with a job as mail clerk, while boy graduates would be hired as actual professionals, in this case reporters, the career ladder right in front of them and management beckoning with a smile. Ephron accepted the status quo. She reveled in just getting the job. Didn't we all?

She also speaks of the current day and getting old in a way that makes it hard for me to maintain my usual perspective of optimistic denial, but still, I laughed. Nora Ephron has every reason to feel happy, accomplished, loved and admired. When you've got all that going for you, you've got a pretty good perspective from which to view aging.

This is a good book for Boomers to pass around.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Remember Nothing.