Patricia BookExhibitionism's Reviews > Stealing Parker

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Mar 14, 13

bookshelves: to-read

She's 17, he's 23. Give me this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stealing Parker.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia BookExhibitionism Carroll wrote: "That's nothing. In my book, LAST FLIGHT OUT, he's 28 and she's 16! LOL

23 and 17 is so - yawn - it happens all the time. This is the problem with many authors, they try to force controversy where there is none. If you're going to write something controversial, then write it. Don't tiptoe around it.

Oh, and mine is already released. "

o.ô So you are basically trying to promote your book by talking about it below reviews* of other authors' novels, comparing it to theirs (or other, similiar, books), pointing out their faults and why yours is better? I don't think that'll work in your favor..

As for the controversity to be found in Stealing Parker: I don't associate age-gaps like this one as controversial, not really, because like you said.. it's almost common. Not that that is something 'good' (or bad). Abusive relationships are common, too. Doesn't change how I feel about them.

What I mean is that I don't read books because of how controversial they might be. I don't avoid controversial books, either, though. It's just.. I read books that might happen to be controversial.. or not.

But their (Parker and whatshisname's) situation is difficult nonetheless, and reading about a hopefully more mature girl falling in love with a guy whom I might believe it if he said "I love you" to her.. Well, that IS appealing.

If I wanted to read about a girl falling in love with a much older guy just for the sake of it.. Well, I might reread Twilight after all. - But here's the thing: Why would a guy with 30, 300 or 3000 years of life-experience fall for a most likely annoying, whining teenager? I can't see the appeal.

When I look at 16 year old girls or guys I wonder "Why would I fall for someone with so little life-experience?" (Maybe your heroine has lots of it, though. I didn't see a blurb here on Goodreads.)

That's not to say that it can't happen. But the risk of the book being full of Suck is much higher than what I can carry away from it if it isn't. I'd really need to be in the mood to pick it up. Whereas the chance of STEALING PARKER to be made of Win is higher than the amount of dishes I will throw against the wall if it sucks.

I think many novels, lately, try to be controversial or whatever.. And then, along the way, they forget to be believable, with relatable and likeable protagonists, an actual plot and good background-story or worldbuilding.

Not that yours is, I haven't read it after all (and I suppose that I should, because maybe your hero is awesome, and maybe your heroine is likeable and not annoying or overly juvenile) but that's just the general impression I got over the last few months.

* Well, it's more like a comment, but you know..