Neyra ♦'s Reviews > The Reapers are the Angels

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: dystopia
Read from April 14 to 19, 2012

Actual Rating: 3.5

Let me begin by saying, this book was not what I was expecting. I found that I wasn't over-excited to hurry and finish so I could find out what happens. It was more like I couldn't wait to find something else to do. In other words, it was a slow read for me. What I found though, I didn't hate the book.

The Reapers Are the Angels, tells us a compelling story about survival through the eyes of fifteen year old Temple. Alone in the world after a tragedy struck, she travels the decaying world seeking only ways of surviving. For Temple, there never was "a time before the zombies", so she knows not of the ways of generations past. For her, zombies are as normal as birds flying. I found that I really liked Temple, she's a strong, resourceful and fiercely independent young woman who's just as flawed as any human being. And just like everyone, she's got demons she'd rather not acknowledge. Her personal journey takes her to others, communities of people bent on rebuilding their world, hunters roaming the lands and finding, special ways of surving, and a family lost in their own world, refusing to accept anything beyond the perimeters of their property. But growing up in a world where the dead are living and the living dead, Temple knows it's best to keep moving and not look back.

This book was more spiritual, than urban fantasy. It was a story of survival and redemption, there's zombies and an apocalyptic world, but that's just background noise... and that's where I hit a road block in my reading. I couldn't get past that, the story itself is amazing, Alden Bell does a great job in painting this dying world, and the characters are so vivid and real. The actions Temple takes in order to survive, so gruesome, violent, horrific, and cringe inducing. It was less fantasy and more realism, and honestly I'm not use to these type of books. I gravitate more towards paranormal romances, urban fantasy books, where the line between real and fiction isn't blurred.I will say, though, that the ending was a shock ;)

The book, I recommend to anyone who's interests are that of realistic fiction. It's not bad, I've read great reviews about it, and a Goodreads friend of mine highly recommended it.. Believe me when I say, it's not the book, it's me. Lol :]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reapers are the Angels.

04/15/2012 page 53
24.0% ""I guess not. I reckon I'll just keep going north. It never pays much to go backward to someplace you already been." -Temple"
04/16/2012 page 93
31.0% "I like Temple and the horror-filled journey she's taking, but not much else.. I am however curious about this book, so I will continue :)"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling It's definitely a difficult book, and not one everyone will like! I'm glad you stuck it out and ended up liking Temple, though. She's a pretty amazing character.

Neyra ♦ Thanks so did I. There was a moment when I thought to put the book down and not look back, but thought better of it, and I'm glad I did. Temple is a great character, she's a rare young lady :)

message 3: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay I should read this book. The realism and violence bits sound like they are right up my alley, hah!

Neyra ♦ Kay wrote: "I should read this book. The realism and violence bits sound like they are right up my alley, hah!"

Lol, then you should! It was interesting enough for me to continue reading the whole book, just not what I was expecting. haha. If you read it, I hope you enjoy it. Can't wait for the review to compare notes :D

message 5: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Moved up to my TRB ASAP list :)

Neyra ♦ I didn't know you had one of those! Lol Good luck! :)

message 7: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay I found that wading through the 900-some books on my regular TBR list was too intimidating. :) 40 is much more manageable.

Neyra ♦ lmao I know what you mean, I have a 'must-read' list and thought it's at 100 it's still much better than the 500 or so I have on my TBR List. Lol