John's Reviews > Hawkeye and Mockingbird: Ghosts

Hawkeye and Mockingbird by Jim McCann

May 06, 12

I really wasn't familiar with the Hawkeye character, who is featured in the new "Avengers" movie, so I thought I'd check out a couple books featuring the purple archer. I first read "Ultimate Hawkeye" since the character is more like that of the film. I didn't like it. In "Ghosts," however, we get the "old-school" Hawkeye, goofy purple mask and all. And old-school seems to be the operative word here. We get good, if not flashy, artwork, and a fast moving storyline with lots of action, character interplay, and some very witty asides. This one has Hawkeye and Mockingbird teaming back up after divorcing, but still having complicated feelings for each other. Mockingbird is being stalked by an old nemesis, the Phantom Rider, who is basically an evil cowgirl ghost, and hit upon by team member Dominic Fortune. Meanwhile Hawkeye is trying to track down sort of an evil sniper version of himself called Crossfire.
Both Phantom Rider and Crossfire are weird and wonderful villains, and Fortune is an entertaining pain in the rear. But it's Hawkeye and Mockingbird's relationship that make this collection stand out. I would like to track down Mockingbird's first encounter with the Phantom Rider to flesh out some of the back story, but overall a very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hawkeye and Mockingbird.