Scott Callaway's Reviews > Magnified World

Magnified World by Grace O'Connell

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from April 17 to 21, 2012

This is normally not the kind of book I would pick up and read, but man am I ever glad I did. I won an advanced reading copy of this book as a Goodreads giveaway and so not as a professional reviewer, but as a regular person who enjoys a good story, I am happy to give an honest review of Grace O'Connell's Magnified World.

This story had me from the start. It's the kind of story that is open and honest, and although it never kept me at the edge of my seat in suspense, it always made sure to be there hanging at the back of my mind in between readings, like the pleasant aftertaste of a good drink that causes a subtle craving for the next cup.

I was happy I read this book because it deals with a lot of the things that interest me. I've always been intrigued by new age stuff, and being that I am currently studying psychology I was really drawn in by all the psychology aspects of the story. It's amazing what the human mind is capable of and I believe Grace O'Connell really captured the complexity of it.

When I mentioned I'm not writing this as a professional reviewer, that's because this is only a hobby and I'm not really good at giving detailed reviews. But what I can say with my limited ability is that I liked the relationships that Maggie, the main character, had to deal with. They were not always pleasant to maintain and some were even practically impossible to keep going, but there were some very real moments brought to life with great description. It's a very emotional book full of intelligence, and I often set it down to share different parts with my wife because they were so good and I felt they needed to be shared and discussed.

As previously mentioned, this is not the kind of book I would normally read because I'm a fantasy aficionado, but sometimes it's good to stop and read about interpretations of real life. I'm ridiculously glad I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magnified World.

04/17/2012 "I won this book as a goodreads giveaway and received my ARC in the mail today. Now it's time to read!"
show 1 hidden update…