Shirley's Reviews > A Time to Kill

A Time to Kill by John Grisham

May 21, 12

Read in May, 2012

I saw the movie a long time ago and had always wanted to read the book. Finally I got my chance and I really enjoyed going through it. This is a very emotionally intense and engaging storyline. It keeps you glued in from the start to the finish. The rich courtroom drama keeps the excitement live. The storyline - a father seeking revenge on those who wronged his daughter - may sound to be a simple story; but trust me it is anything but that. It surpasses all your expectations.

John G. shows how a crime tends to touch so many people and alter the course of their lives. He highlights many aspects of our society - crime, justice, racism, poverty, politics, religion, our value systems, the essence and struggles of a normal family, personal vendettas and the thirst for power and attention in people. He shows the naivety of the media and how susceptible it is to manipulation and misinformation. Everything is intertwined and the plight of one family would not only become a spectacle for the entire nation but would bring into focus some serious issues that had been swept under the rug.

Reading this book, you will find yourself overwhelmed by Carl Lee's struggles. While being horrified at the action of men, you will question the judicial system that protects all.

A very touching story; would recommend it to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Time to Kill.