Eileen's Reviews > Cicada

Jun 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-suspense, young-adult
Read from April 21 to 29, 2012

I was really excited to get this book, and when I read it, I read it in one morning, mainly because it's so short, only 220 pages. I think that the shortness of the book impacted this book on extreme levels, whether you were aware of it or not. I also love this cover, and it reminds me of that cover, the Mind Readers. Actually, the Mind Readers reminded me of this book because I read Cicada first and very recently discovered that book. Here's the cover to the Mind Readers, by Lori Brighton. The link to the Mind Readers can be found here:
The Mind Readers (Mind Readers, #1) See? Doesn't that remind you of Cicada? Anyway, besides that, Cicada got into the action really quickly, with the first few pages diving headfirst into the action. I found it hard to get into the action at first, but once I got into the story and plot line, I just lost myself in the novel, in the unique plot and storyline that I've never really seen anything like before. I recently read Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout, and that also dealt with aliens, but before, this was my very first alien book, and I think it was a really good icebreaker for all the alien novels. Not too hard to read, but not so simple that it was...boring.

The writing you found in Cicada was really complex and well thought-out. Belle weaved the story to her advantage and the characters jumped out at me. Blair and all the other supporting characters grew a great deal during this book and they came alive during the book. I could imagine the action happening and the characters doing things. I did have one problem with the characters, however, and that was the dialect they used and talked with.

All of the characters, who are teens, talked formally as if they were centuries behind of the rest of us. For example, instead of saying, "I can't go to the store," they would say, "I cannot go to the store." That made it harder to get into the story. My last complaint would have to be the romance. I was actually going through this book, not minding the romance too much, but then all of a sudden the love interest jumped in, after having shown no signs previously of a romance, and then it all moved fast, with Blair and the love interest declaring their love for each other and how they never wanted to part. I felt that was a little forced and created a huge speed bump in the middle of a highway.

The action in the end was absolutely gripping. Everything built up to that last moment in the novel, and it wrapped everything up really well. If you enjoy books about aliens, I'd definitely recommend this book for you. Even though I had a few complaints here and there, overall, Cicada was a really good novel, a really nice summer read, with a little bit of supernatural elements brought in.

To follow the rest of the tour, click:
[image error]

Tour Stop going to be featured at
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cicada.

04/28/2012
15.0% "I see the premise that this whole thing will be based off. Hopefully it will be good and I can write a good review for it! :)"