MyGoodBookshelf's Reviews > Blessed Are the Cheesemakers

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers by Sarah-Kate Lynch

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: fiction, chicklit-romance
Read in December, 2010

(This review also appears on Amazon.co.uk)

"Cheese is the new chocolate..."

I've read one of Lynch's other novels `Eating with the Angels,' which I enjoyed- but this is a foodie book I've wanted to get my hands on for a long while. A book about cheese? A romance book at that? How can it NOT be fantastic?!

This quirky novel is set between rural Ireland, bustling New York and the remote Sullivan Islands (in the middle of the Pacific) and focuses on several different characters and their lives, with the stories all cleverly intertwining.

Funny and sentimental, this book is genuinely laugh out loud funny in places. The occasional Irish brogue especially adds a real flavour (no pun intended) to the characters personalities and actions. First we have Irish cheese makers Corrie and Fee, old gents who are cheese making geniuses at their mad dairy farm in Rural Ireland. With their herd of dairy cows, (all called Maria), they have pregnant teenage girls serenading them with songs from The Sound of Music whilst they're milked. Sounds odd, but its actually really humorous and just works for some reason in this slightly madcap tale. After a minor glitch with a batch of cheese when the curd goes awry, the men decide to hire a new cheese maker- and an outsider at that.

Step in Kit Stephens, a New Yorker and former stockbroker whose life has been down the toilet since the death of his beloved Jacey. Alcoholic Kit has come to Ireland for a break- and hopefully a chance of peace and redemption.

Finally there's Abbey- long lost granddaughter of Corrie. Sweetly naïve, she's blissfully aware that her good for nothing husband has been single handedly upping the population of a remote Pacific Island.

Add in a further hodgepodge of wonderful calamitous characters and this book is the setting for something really special with just a touch of magic. I truly couldn't put it down, wanting to know just what would happen with all the characters lives. I also learned a lot about cheese in the process! Guess what I'm having for tea tonight?!

Highly recommended, particularly if you enjoy off-beat romance novels or fiction with a bit of a foodie twist. Be warned though: this book will leave you craving a chunk of stilton and glass of wine in the worst possible way!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blessed Are the Cheesemakers.