Tim's Reviews > Aberration of Starlight

Aberration of Starlight by Gilbert Sorrentino

Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: loved-literary-fiction

My hatred of the post-modern and the experimental in fiction is as well-known and established as my scorn for the contemporary vampire fiction craze. But just as there is one Anne Rice novel that I don't hate with everything in me, so, too, is there a novel in the PM/experimental that I actually, genuinely adore.

Sorrentino skillfully makes use of a technique most readers will be familiar with film, that of presenting different character perspectives around a series of central events, with each repositioning adding another layer and context to the story and the reader's understanding of the relationships, characters, and said central events.

This is no Poisonwood Bible with its characters all sounding the same. Each of the characters presented is distinct and interesting in and of themselves and the reader's gradual reformed awareness makes for a delightful experience.

There's other small experimental touches that work surprisingly well, but I don't want to give everything away. I will say this much about this period piece: The writing is so snappy, the catchphrases so earworming in this lovely book, that for three weeks afterward, I kept saying "Just between you, me and the lamppost..."

Warning: Contains a few moderately graphic sex scenes (one in particular I can recall). Just a heads up for those who don't like to read such things in their fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aberration of Starlight.