James's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Apr 10, 12

I can't even imagine what an undertaking it would be to write a biography of someone like Steve Jobs especially while he was dying. What makes it even more impressive is that Issacson doesn't hold back and presents Jobs warts and all. I admire Jobs for allowing the book to be written knowing that so many unflattering things would be said. Jobs' behavior towards other people is shocking and Issacson even says towards the end of the book that it wasn't necessary, but that it occasionally served a purpose. The people that Jobs berated would even eventually say that his seemingly unrealistic demands really did help them accomplish great things. With that being said, I have to agree with Issacson that it was unnecessary and I hope most CEO's have more positive ways of getting results.

While I can't admire the way Jobs treated people (even members of his own family at times), I do admire his innovation, work ethic and desire for perfection. The chapters about his second round at Apple were truly inspiring. To conceive and develop products that have inner workings which are amazingly complex, and yet make them so simple to use that my 3 year old can figure it out, with no instruction, is pure genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.