Jennifer's Reviews > Taken at Dusk

Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: favorites, ya, ebook, read-2012
Read from April 10 to 11, 2012

The Shadow Falls books from C.C. Hunter make up one of my favorite YA series. I don't think it gets the recognition it deserves either. C.C. Hunter has created a fascinating world where all paranormals coexist, but not always peacefully.

Shadow Falls is a camp for supernaturals where they can learn to harness their abilities and break down prejudices towards each other. It's about to enter its fledgling year as a year-round school, if they can just keep things from falling apart. The story is fast paced and full of constant developments but not to the point where it's overly intense. It's not so fast that the reader feels rushed either; it's taken us three books to cover one summer's worth of time but it's worth every page. I find Ms. Hunter's Shadow Falls books hard to put down once I've started them. Given the opportunity I could devour them in a sitting. I reach then end and I'm craving more.

Taken at Dusk is the no exception. Awake at Dawn left Kylie in a rather precarious place and Taken at Dusk picks up right where we left off. Someone is out to get Kylie and she is having a hard time figuring out who to trust, not to mention her new ghost visitor isnt much of a talker. I love the way the characters are developing and growing. Kylie's roommates are still bickering, but they are also friends who have each others back no matter what. They are still mystified by boys (who isn't?), but they have learned how to recognize a friend in need. There are love triangles that aren't whiney and heroines that are strong. The only thing that I find slightly aggravating is the lengths Hunter's characters go to to avoid swearing. And really, how minor is that?

If you're looking for an engaging, fast-paced paranormal YA series, this is for you. Every time I start one of her books, I wish it would just keep going. Personally, I can hardly wait until October for Whispers at Moonrise.

Final Take: 5/5

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taken at Dusk.

04/10/2012 page 112