Michael Hall's Reviews > A Princess of Mars

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Apr 12, 12

Read from April 10 to 12, 2012

A great action adventure yarn on Mars (Barsoom), filled with alien beings, strange creatures, a beautiful princess, sword fights, gun battles, airships, and a larger than life hero by the name of John Carter. Carter is seemingly an immortal man from Earth a few years after the end of the American Civil War. This is not high literature, it is a fun filled action based space-opera novel from the first decade of the 20th century. Edgar Rice Burroughs was technically not that great of a good writer, but he was a masterful story teller and the adventure therein is the purpose of reading his books. I was lucky enough to read the Barsoom books when I was a child. That way I had no concerns about prose, literary quality, or "sloppy science". That's the thing that modern readers forget about pulp or dime novels from this time period, they were meant as quick and light action & adventure based reading materials for young people, usually boys, who would be reading comics and/or manga nowadays. A couple of decades later as an adult I find the world building to still be intriguing, and even if the science is a bit naive, the action a little over the top, and the hero a little too perfect, it is still a great entertaining adventure and storytelling experience well worth the reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Princess of Mars.

04/11/2012 page 91