Parka's Reviews > Complete Sketches and Studies

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: art-books
Read in December, 2011

Dave Stevens: The Complete Sketchbook Collection
(More pictures on my blog)

Dave Stevens: The Complete Sketchbook Collection is another quality art book from IDW. It's a large format hardcover art book with 256 pages.

There are lots of pin-up style art, nude studies, coloured pencil sketches, blue pencil sketches, ink over pencils, some comic panels and his Rocketeer artworks. Some are really quick pose sketches, some nicely shaded portraits and a few coloured pieces which look finished. For the inked works, you can see they are off-black, not processed and have a trace of blue beneath.

His gesture drawings are nice. All the characters have lively poses. There are only a few pieces of cover art and I like the composition for those.

It's a wonderful art book recommended to fans of Dave Stevens.

I wished I had reviewed this earlier because as I'm writing this, the book is already out of stock on Amazon US. You can still get it from the third party merchants there though (at a higher price). It's still available at other stores so you've to act fast to grab them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complete Sketches and Studies.