Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > Tortured Rake

Tortured Rake by Sarah Morgan

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: cheesy-harlequins, romance-contemporary, romance-harlequin, romance-series-not-so-much, 2012-april
Recommended for: Anyone who loves the "regular girl gets the movie star" fairy tale
Read from April 10 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have no idea how I even heard of this book. I'm usually too embarrassed to pick anything up that has a cover like this:

And the title: Seriously? I cringe even typing it. This book was released under a different title at one point: A Night of Scandal. Besides having nothing to do with anything in the story, it probably wasn't nearly sexy enough for the rest of the series.

Here's the premise for the series: Eight (count 'em, EIGHT) siblings. Some full, some step, some half, all obscenely wealthy and successful, all of them "50 shades of fucked up" as a result of a horrific upbringing. An angsty, Harlequin version of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, each written by a different author.

That did for me - I had to have the whole series.

The Tortured Rake (sigh. It's. just. so. bad.) is the story of Nathaniel Wolfe, uber-sexy mega-talented actor and, I believe, the youngest of the Wolfe clan. Oh yeah, and he's an emotional cripple, but just like in real life we don't find that out until a bit later. Bring on the angst, I say!

Said angst angle enters in the form of Katie Field, a wardrobe designer on the play Nathaniel is starring in in London, and so begins one of my favourite fairy tales -- the regular girl snags the movie star. I love these stories, especially when they are done well.

I really enjoyed this - it was much better than I was expecting it to be. The writing was good, both characters were believable and they felt real. I could identify with Katie and see exactly what she saw in Nathaniel.

There were a couple of clunky moments (view spoiler), and an instance or two where I had to remind myself that I was reading a Harlequin and the author didn't have 500 pages to work with, but overall I liked this quite a bit.

It'll go on a new shelf with my other movie star/regular girl books - Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James Sexiest Man Alive by Diana Holquist

and I'm on to the next book in the series, the equally awfully titled The Shameless Playboy.

A quick, enjoyable read with a really hot guy on the cover. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tortured Rake.

04/10/2012
37.0% "Well. I'm embarrassed to say how much I'm liking this. And equally embarrassed that I had to double check how to spell embarrassed. Lots of time to get over my shame; there are SIX more books in the series!!!

Oh, help.

" 11 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah We all have our plotting-trope weaknesses. :D But those covers are just plain embarrassing. (And I don't much care for that guy's eyebrows. Ack.)

Tammy Walton Grant Yep, this just one of mine, I have tons of 'em. The whole reason I read Anne Stuart is because of the way she does the spinster/rake plot. (*ducks out of the way of Karla's glare*)

Eyebrows? He has eyebrows? I was mesmerized by his stubble.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hee! So it wasn't Hand in Glove that initially wow'd you with Ms Stuart's writerly gifts? >:D

Tammy Walton Grant Oh, HECK no! It was The Devil's Waltz and To Love a Dark Lord that sucked me in.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah While reading an awesome book is good for the soul, it's writing reviews for shitty books that's such evul good fun. >:D

Tammy Walton Grant You better believe it! :D

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Except I still haven't braved reviewing Hand in Glove. *cringe* I think that book scarred me for life.

message 8: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Tammy wrote: "Oh, HECK no! It was The Devil's Waltz and To Love a Dark Lord that sucked me in.

Hand in Glove was just gravy. ;D I also detested Into the Fire and had a pretty good time writing that review."

Awww, Into the Fire is 1 of my faves of hers :-/

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Scully, I know lots of people loved that one. It was the heroine that ruined it for me; I thought she was a complete dip.

message 10: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully AS's contemp heroines do tend to be rather limp *sigh*

Tammy Walton Grant LOL,usually more than made up for by the Heroes, but in the case of that book I just couldn't do it. :)

Do you read her historicals as well as her contemps?

message 12: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I've read a lot of her contemps and her old categories, but I'm just starting to read her historicals. I enjoyed To Love a Dark Lord. Hidden Honor amd Devil's Waltz are in my TBR.

Tammy Walton Grant I've done it backwards to the way you did - I started with her historicals, then contemps, and now getting to her old categories.

Hope you like Devil's Waltz; it's one of my faves.

message 14: by Rae (new) - added it

Rae T LOL! I laughed so hard when you showed the cover.

Tammy Walton Grant Thanks, Rae!