Robyn's Reviews > Chopsticks

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, relationships, young-adult
Read from April 10 to 11, 2012

"What was that all about?"

That's what I was asking myself when I finished Chopsticks. The book's layout reminds me of a scrapbook, but throw in some text message conversations and YouTube links (which are real, BTW). So it was this catchy-flashy presentation that ultimately had me pick Chopsticks up off the New Books shelf at the library. Gawd, I'm a sucker.

The book starts out with a missing person report (presented primarily through news clips and a little text, think ticker at the bottom of the TV.) Cool! Maybe it will lead to a murder? Even more interesting! But as I keep turning the pages my eyeballs are accosted by images of a waif thin girl and uberattractive people who have as much personality as the models in store-bought picture frames. Seriously? How am I suppose to relate to these characters? They don't look like "real" people. Not to mention the main character (Glory) and her father (Victor) look to be about the same age. Eeewwww.

Honestly, there really isn't much going on in the area of plot. The authors relied too heavily on the presentation. On a positive note I think I can sum up the story in 5 sentences. Starving piano prodigy, Glory, goes missing. A couple pages of flashbacks. Jump to the present and meet the model looking neighbor boy who gets bad grades and falls in love with Glory. (Was that a run-on?) Starving girl has a nervous breakdown and is sent to a rehab facility where she misses her neighbor-boy-boyfriend. She runs away and meets up with the boy.

The end.

Ugh. Not to mention the other just plain weird stuff. Like the letter head used for the school and the rehab are the same. The principal of Willard Dunn School for Boys and the Chief Administrator of Golden Rest Facility appear to be the same person.

I'm too confused and not at all invested to care.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chopsticks.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Waiting For Wentworth I understand that this picture book type storytelling is not for everyone, but I think you missed the point of the book. You also missed quite a few details in the book, and that is not how the book ends.

Robyn You're absolutely right! I missed serveral points. Can you help me out please?

Maija While I think you should try to read it again, I like how you pointed our how the father never ages.

Robyn I tried, honestly! Alas, I did not connect with the book. Maybe after I read some more reviews it'll make more sense.

Robert In the end we find out he (the boyfriend) wasn't real. She made up his face, his school, and the drawings were drawn by her while she was in the Golden Hands facility. His face was on the bottle of wine her mother kept in the basement. She basically slowly started to lose her mind through the book because she was pushed too hard by her father.

Robyn Oohhhh.... See I just needed someone to point that out. I never noticed it was his face on the bottle of wine!