Lanica's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, fantasy, historical-fiction, read-in-2012, reviewed, science-fiction
Read from April 10 to 13, 2012

I listened to this on audio...and it was really fun. First off, it's read by Wil Wheaton - which is perfect! There are not many things that make me laugh out loud, but this book had me laughing at several points. I'm not sure it would have if I hadn't had Wil talking it through.

I tagged this book as fantasy only because it had fantasy role play inside the OASIS. There are no fantasy elements in the 'real world' of this novel - it's strictly sci-fi.

I learned to code in BASIC, I played MUD's and had some limited amount of video game experience. I understood what was being said...and I loved it. But, I am not sure that younger readers would really get that much out of this book. It might read more as historical fiction to those who were born in this century. I'd be interested in hearing what younger readers have to say about it.

LIBRARIAN REVIEW: I would recommend this to students. Admittedly, there are a few places where I thought to myself, "I'm not sure I'd want that in my library," but by the time I finished the book I was willing to defend it. There is far more positive than negative in this book and I think any high-school student who ready it would get something out of it. The final chapter alone made me want to hand it to half the high school boys I'd met.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.