Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Faefever

Faefever by Karen Marie Moning

Aug 23, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-reads
Read in September, 2008

***Be warned that this is the 3rd book of a planned 5 book series. So this takes us about halfway through events. It ends on a cliffhanger, but I still loved it!

Holy Sh@%! I just finished "Faefever" by Karen Marie Moning and I'm not sure whether I want to kiss her or kill her. Her writing is lucid, smart, fantastic, and yet somehow believable. If you're a fan of Moning's 'Highlander' series and are looking for more of that...then you need to pass on by. If you're looking for a story so gritty, scary, and yet real and addictive...then go RIGHT NOW and pick up all three books in this series. You won't be sorry.

Mac is torn in so many different directions in this book, it's almost painful to read. None of the decisions she must make are easy, yet every one will have titanic consequences. She's seemingly being 'courted' by three different males, each of whom wants her for her ability to sense Hallows. In "Faefever, she finds out a little bit more about each of them. There's V'lane, the death-by-sex fae who claims to want 'the Book' for his Queen to keep the walls between the worlds strong. There's the Lord Master, Mac's sister's old lover and ultimately killer, who needs the book to dissolve the walls but will keep Mac and her family safe and restore her dead sister to her with help from 'the Book'. Then there's Jericho Barrons. Every time Mac thinks she has him pegged, she discovers how little she really knows or understands him. Yet her attraction to him is always there. In Faefever, Mac finally spends some time with Christian MacKeltar--a Druid from a pretty impressive family lineage of Druids who battle to protect humanity by preserving the 'Compact' with the Fae Queen.

But in the end, it all comes down to Mac. She's the only one alive who can sense the object/s they all want. Her actions affect not just herself and other Sidhe-seers but ultimately all humanity. The real issue is: Who can Mac trust? Or maybe more accurately: Can she trust any of them?

I absolutely devoured this book. Didn't eat, didn't take a break (but did have to go to the bathroom once)! Now I'm strung out and strung up. I want to know...need to know what happens next. All I can do is wait for "Dreamfever" which is currently awaiting a release date but will likely be at least 9 months from now :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faefever.

Marion Great review Julie. I read the other books in this series and can't wait to start this one.

message 2: by Blackbook (new) - added it

Blackbook Of course you got your copy first. Again. Curses!
The last two books felt like one book released in two parts. I was left feeling a little cheated. You gave Faefever 5 stars. That good? I hope my copy gets here tomorrow.

message 3: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Now doesn't this good --too bad I don't like urban fantasy :(

Julie (jjmachshev) Black and Summer,
Be aware that this book only takes us about halfway through the story. The ending is a cliff-hanger!!
J

MelissaB I am very excited to read this book but I am scared too because I read some spoilers about the ending. Thanks for this review Julie, now I am ready to read the book despite the spoilers because you made it sound so good. I have it sitting at home but I still have to reread the first two before starting this one. I don't want to wait nine more months for the rest of the story since I heard this one ends on a cliffhanger! These books are so amazing, I couldn't sleep after I finished Bloodfever last year because I just kept thinking about the story and trying to figure out Barrons. KMM is one of the best authors out there! Thanks for the review!

Beth F. I desperately, frantically, helplessly wish I’d not discovered this series until AFTER they’d all been published! I have 50 pages left and here I am, stuck at work so I can’t read them and it’s making me all twitchy. :P

Great review!

MelissaB I will probably wait until the weekend to read this because I am afraid I will just skip work until I am finished if I can't read it all in one night.

♡Karlyn P♡ Moning is one of my favorite authors, but I decided a while ago that I will wait until all five books are available before starting this series. But it is getting harder and harder to resist! I have to ask, how was the sex in this one? She writes such great heated passion in her highlander series.

message 9: by Blackbook (new) - added it

Blackbook I am late for work, so what's new? I've been waiting for the UPS man. He arrived at 10. It's 10:15 and I have to decide how late I am going to be. Maybe, I can go in at noon...

Julie (jjmachshev) KarLynP,
You won't be happy with the sex situation in this one. There IS sex, but not til the end and it won't be what you expect. This is SO totally different from her highlander series. It's an urban fantasy that has some hot sexual tension, but still urban fantasy. It's dark, very dark right now as we're at the halfway point of the 'whole' story. I only wish I had the willpower to wait for all the books to be out before I started, but I'm so weak. I couldn't even wait til after work to get the book, went to the bookstore during lunch!
I've read some of the comments on her website and other sites from her fans who are disappointed in this book and pretty much the whole series. I loved her highlander series and I'm loving this series...but they are totally different genres and that's OK with me.
J

Carol Julie , you hit it right on the nose for me, did I want to hug or kill her for the cliffhanger.But now that I am hooked on this series I hate the waiting and probably should have waited till all were finished. But I am really not sorry. I love everything about them. I'm wondering what will happen with Jericho and Mac and can't wait. Great review.You described Mac perfectly in this one.
Carol

Julie (jjmachshev) A reader over on LibraryThing was trying to get me to guess 'what' Jericho is...I'm like, I have NO idea...a few far-out guesses, but no real idea.
JJ

message 13: by Carol (last edited Sep 22, 2008 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Exactly, like Mac I figure every time I "got it" ,AHA, and then he does something that blows that away. But I am dying to know and will most likely spend all the time between Faefever and the next thinking what he is. :)and loving every minute of it. ;)With the exceprion of him being one h**L of an Alpha male. Have you read "Nora Roberts" "Circle" trilogy ? I think anyone who loves Faefever and the other two they would enjoy this trilogy. Just wanted to mention it.
Carol

Julie (jjmachshev) Oh yeah...I read her Circle trilogy and am now anxiously awaiting the last book in the 'Sign of Seven'. I'll be at the bookstore waiting for them to open on 25 Nov to get "Pagan Stone". The downside is I'll be finished in less than 3 hours...but hey, it's my vice!!