Max Ostrovsky's Reviews > The Rainmaker

Apr 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, pop
Read in April, 2012

A very sloppy beginning and an even worse sloppy ending.
The beginning I found meandering. There were just too many plot lines that contained no suspense or anything that grabbed me. I couldn't even feel anything for the main character until close to the middle of the book.
The middle of the book, however, was fantastic. It was engaging and fast paced. I found myself not wanting to put the book down. The centerpiece of the book, the main trial, was handled absolutely fantastically. There were some detours to remind the reader of other weaker plot lines, but aside from that, I love it! Everything culminating to the nail biting climax was exciting, well written, well paced, and filled with characters with real emotional attachment.
Then it all completely fell apart at the end.
The reader got a brilliant conclusion to the primary story line, but then the secondary story lines needed their own half-hearted, and pointless conclusions.
The ultimate ending, without any spoilers, was a huge disappointment and seemed to negate just about everything great the book had going for it.
If I were to recommend this book, I would tell people to stop reading at the verdict because the absolutely pointless love interest plot picks up again and destroys everything good about the book.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rainmaker.

02/19 marked as: read

Christine Parkinson This is a superb review of this book. if the book had bern 200 pages less and was just a story about the trial it would have been a 5 star book. The rest totally let it down especially the ending.

Nico I agree with Max and Christine! (My own review contains spoilers, and if you read it you'll see why.) Well said, both.