Kellee's Reviews > Friends With Boys

Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

1919931
Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: graphic-novel, ghost-story, teen-ya, netgalley, teach-mentor-texts, my-favorite-reads-in-2012
Read in April, 2012

Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

Friends with Boys is a book that seems like a normal realistic fiction novel about a girl starting high school. Maggie has always been homeschooled by her mom, but she is now in 9th grade (and her mom left), so it is time to go to high school. Will Maggie be able to fit in? Wait... then all of a sudden there is a ghost. At first it didn't seem to fit into the story, but then the story began to unfold around it. With her new friends it is up to her to figure out the mystery behind the ghost. This book is really about finding the truth- the truth in yourself, your family, your friends and the past.

I really adored the characters in this book- I'd want to be friends with Lucy and Maggie and her brothers are the type of older brothers all girls dream of. The story also deals with bullying and making choices in high school which I thought was a nice touch.

And the art was great as well! Thick lined, realistic, easy to interpret- overall enjoyable.

I will say, though, the story, at times, very much reminded me of Anya's Ghost, but that isn't a bad thing at all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friends With Boys.

01/01 marked as: read