Trisha's Reviews > Glimpse

Glimpse by Stacey Wallace Benefiel

Apr 11, 12

Read from April 10 to 11, 2012

This is a situation in which I wish book re-writes were a thing. Just as movies and tv shows can be re-filmed, I think some novels should be re-written (although, I guess that's what we call spin-offs). Stacey Wallace Benefiel came up with a brilliant and original premise: a teenage girl, at the start of her relationship with a boy she's been crazy about for who knows how long (literally, it doesn't say in the book), "sees" the future and his inevitable, bloody death.

I am not a habitual YA reader. At all. I generally stick to the classics, Astrix comics, and what I happen to see people reading on the metro. However, I saw this book on iBook's Top 100 Free Books list and decided to give it a go.

Like I said, the premise was solid. In that, I have no objections. But as the story progressed and we learned more of the main character's 'vision' of her boyfriend's death, the situation became less and less believable. Some of the dialouge was good, punchy one-liners and sisterly banter, but most of the time it was typical and almost mocking of teenage behavior. As as the story went on, some of the characters adapted too quickly to some very paranormal activity. It's hard to say why I didn't like the book without giving spoilers.

But like I said before, I think this book could be a lot better if Stacey got another crack at it. The flaws in it are not fundamental; they're mostly style issues.

EDIT:
In reading comments, I learned that she self-published this book. I originally felt that most of the issues I found in the book could've been fixed with better editing. It seems that if she self-published the book, then she wouldn't have had access to more experienced and specific editors that publishing houses offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glimpse.

04/10/2012 page 134