Danielle Spencer's Reviews > American Born Chinese

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: english-420
Read in March, 2012

REQUIRED
This novel was a roaring success for me. It follows the story of the monkey king, an American boy, Danny and Jin, a boy in America with Chinese heritage. The plots a little convoluted, but the Monkey King who is unhappy being a monkey eventually learns to accept who he is. Similarly, Danny must become comfortable in his own skin, which is Jin, as his embarrassing Chinese cousin (who is the monkey king) seems to ruin his life, but is actually reminding him of the importance of his heritage. I think this novel presents interesting cultural connotations. One wonders if it would be okay for an American to write such a novel about Chinese people. Overall, I loved the humor of the novel, as well as the startling realization that maybe I was ridiculously prejudiced. Most of all I enjoyed the message of redemption at the end. I think younger readers would enjoy the novel, but not necessarily understand it. Therefore, I recommend it for readers around fourteen and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Born Chinese.