Terry's Reviews > Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled

Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled by Bert Murray

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, coming-of-age-books
Read in April, 2012

A quick, easy, and fun read. Aimed at a young adult reader, it is a slice of daily life for many of them. If you are over age 25, it will bring back memories of how immature we all were at age 18-20. This is a story of an average male college sophomore: Colin Preston has limited sexual experience but thinks about sex most of the time, does just enough work to get by respectably in college, resents his parents, admires a buddy who appears to have it easy with women, and is deathly afraid of looking stupid to any female.
When the gorgeous and free-spirited Jasmine meets him and just days later invites Colin into a sexual relationship, Colin falls fast and hard for her, allowing her to consume his every waking thought. Quirky from the beginning, she displays wild mood swings and in fact becomes physically violent with him. Yet, Colin’s complete obsession with Jasmine blinds him to what others see: she is high-maintenance, self-centered and not a good match for him. Colin glimpses the fact that great sex (at least from his perspective) is not enough to sustain a relationship. When she abruptly ends their relationship two months later, Colin experiences the raw pain of a first love gone very bad. When he discovers her sexually engaged with the male friend whom he has admired for his ease with women, Colin falls off an emotional cliff.
What makes this book work is that Colin, unlike some 19 year olds, does mature in some ways, as the books goes forward. This is not a deep philosophical book, nor one which examines any of the characters in any depth. I think it is intended to be a fun read and not a commentary on modern life on the campus campus. It fills this role just fine!
Disclosure: I was randomly selected from among numerous GoodReads readers to receive an advance copy of this book; I have read it and this is my honest evaluation. I have no connection with this author or publisher and have received nothing from anyone in consideration for publishing this review.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colin Preston Rocked And Rolled.