Lanica's Reviews > Scrawl

Scrawl by Mark Shulman

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: audiobooks, favorites, high-interest-low-level, inner-city-youths, read-alouds-middle-school, read-in-2012, recommend-for-middle-school-book-cl, recommend-for-middle-school-boys, reviewed, young-adult
Recommended for: Teachers, middle school boys, high school boys, readers, students
Read from April 07 to 09, 2012

I loved everything about this book. It had a unique perspective, an unusual protagonist, an interesting format and it was not the same 'message' that kids get beat over the head with in so many YA books.

I would love to have a book club read this and hear how students react to the characters and the situations. I'd especially be interested to see how boys react to it. I am sure to order this book for any library I work in in the future.

I listened to this on audio book and there were a few moments when I really wished I had the paper copy in my hands. I want to see how the pages look...I recommend reading this in paper form if at all possible; however, the narrator was very good and if it weren't for the odd sequencing of a few of the pages I'd not mention it at all. If audio book is your only option - it's still an excellent choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scrawl.

Halston This book had such an authentic voice. The character of Tod has stuck with me long after the book was finished. I believed every word from this character. The author had me from the very first.

Jane I loved everything about this book, too. It is not the kind of book I read, and yet, it was!

Ally This book was really great. Good review!

Hello There I totally agree. I usually read paranormal romance mostly but Scrawl ROCKED!!

message 5: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Bennett I agree with what you said about the book having an interesting protagonist. The book sort of reminds me of a show like "Breaking Bad" or a movie like "The Godfather" where we see people who wouldn't normally be playing the main character have the spotlight. I liked hearing the backstory of Todd's backstory and I would definitely recommend this book. Having the main character of the story do things that are so vicious it's hard to keep him like-able, but scrawl does it nicely.