Jasmine's Reviews > Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

F 50x66
Apr 10, 2012

Read in April, 2012

The book, Travels with Charley In Search of America by John Steinbeck leads us through an adventure driven by the question “What are Americans like Today?” He took along his French poodle, Charley, who was his companion for the trip. Throughout this descriptive novel, Steinbeck realized that the “New America” was not what he had expected to see. He had discovered the the American society is obviously to its surrounding, life and culture. Steinbeck recognized that the people seem to be dissatisfied with “Here” and want to find a place of commodity and happiness.

“I saw in their eyes something I was to see over and over in every part of the nation – a burning desire to go, to move, to get under way, anyplace, away from Here. They spoke quietly of how they wanted to go someday, to move about, free and unanchored, not toward something but away from something. I saw this look and heard this yearning everywhere in every state I visited. Nearly every American hungers to move”

I recommend this book because it contains a lot of interesting events throughout his adventure and creates vivid imagery. I really enjoyed getting into the book and connecting with what he was viewing along the way. Everywhere he went, people’s attitudes and belief’s changed creating this a fun and learning experience. Read it and enjoy the view it provides next to his best friend Charley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels with Charley.