Aviann's Reviews > The Swiss Family Robinson

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: eng-420
Read in February, 2012

OLD TIME 'JUVENILE' FICTION

Swiss Family Robinson recounts the adventures of the Robinson family when they are stranded in the East Indies on their way to Australia. As far as the family can tell, the island they land on is uninhabited and they must work to use natural resources to create a home for themselves. The entire narrative tells of how they find many animals and plants which help them to live and survive despite the sometimes rough conditions of the island. The Father of the family is very knowledgeable as to plants and animals and thus teaches his four sons how to survive. The family remains on the island for 8 years before they are discovered.

While I was greatly looking forward to reading this book, I was disappointed in it. I had previously seen Disney's rendition of the story, however Disney does not follow the book's plot. The book is more didactic that anything. I felt like constantly the Father was reminding his boys about this or that and reprimanding simple, little things. Granted, this book was written in 1813 when many novels were aimed to help boys be religious and good. In that regard, the book combines lessons and adventure in a way which might have been interesting to boys. However, I would not expect young adults today to enjoy reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swiss Family Robinson.