Pauline's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams was originally written for radio and later published as a trilogy of five books, with a recent sixth book written by Eoin Colfer published in 2009. The book follows Arthur Dent an Englishman whose life has been saved by an alien named Ford Prefect. Ford and Arthur hitchhike onto an alien spaceship just before earth is destroyed. On the ship is a paranoid depressed android named Marvin, another human named Trillian and the owner or stealer of the spaceship who has two heads named Zaphod.

The stolen spaceship is "The Heart of Gold" and it is able to make improbable things happen. The assorted crew head out in search of a legendary planet named Magrathea and to find the answer to the "Ultimate Question".

I have read this book twice and I must admit that the first time I had troubles understanding everything, but the second time I actually enjoyed it and found it humorous. I love all the random things that happen in the book, especially the part where a black hole opens up next to Arthur and carries his voice to another part of space where a war results from what Arthur said. Very imaginative and random thinking is the mainstay of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.