Beth Cato's Reviews > Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss

Ultrametabolism by Mark Hyman

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: in, 2009, nonfiction
Read in December, 2009

I first read of this book back when we subscribed to Experience Life Magazine, and I was glad to find it in a thrift store earlier this year.[return][return]Hyman's basic theory is this: Americans are obese because of widespread misinformation about diets (especially low fat and low calorie diets) and how our DNA is programmed to gain weight. Many pre-packaged foods contain additives and fats that are not natural and our bodies don't know how to process them. Therefore, Hyman's Ultrametabolism Prescription advises that people eat as their ancestors did a hundred years ago with lots of raw fruits and veggies, ancient grains, nuts, and lean meats, and avoiding white flours, sugars, and many pre-packaged products.[return][return]I've tried various diet plans before to dismal results. Even though I exercise six days a week for 30 minutes to an hour, my weight stays at the same plateau. Hyman's theory does have merit, I think, in citing that a lot of cheap and easy foods are actually rather toxic. I don't agree with everything he espoused; one thing he said is that we need to eat as we did a hundred years ago, but at the same time he says we need to avoid flour. Um, flour has been pretty important for a long time. I can't afford to dump out all of my gluten-y foods (or buy all organic), but I do plan to try out his recipe suggestions and read labels more carefully. Moderation seems to be the key, as with anything. I've been eating a lot of produce this year, and I hope to increase that intake, stop buying frozen Lean Cuisines, and see if I really can boost my energy and metabolism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultrametabolism.