Beth Cato's Reviews > Dreams Underfoot

Dreams Underfoot by Charles  de Lint

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: in, 2009, fantasy, urban, newford
Read in August, 2009

I've read a good bit of fantasy, and yet I never read Charles de Lint. Go figure. I'm glad I remedied that situation.[return][return]Dreams Underfoot consists of short stories all set in the city of Newford, with most of the characters overlapping from story to story. This is early urban fantasy, and still excellent. Many of the stories involved the seedier side of Newford called the Tombs, where prostitutes peddle and Bigfoot wanders the alleys. Magic is everywhere in Newford, though most cannot see it. There are balloonmen who tumble along on the breeze, mermaids who yearn for human music, and bridges that may leads to a realm of more bridges. Some stories have a light touch of fantasy, others hold an undercurrent of horror, but all share one major theme: humanity, in all its shades. The power of music is also a prevalent theme.[return][return]At first I thought the book seemed just plain weird, but by the end of the first story I was hooked. As a writer of short stories, I loved seeing how the mechanics and voice varied with each story among these characters who often knew each other. I didn't dislike a single story, and I felt sad when it ended and I had to leave Newford behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams Underfoot.