Beth Cato's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: in, 2011, urban, fantasy, iron-druid-chronicles
Read in May, 2011

This is probably one of the best debut urban fantasies I've read in a while. It has everything the genre asks for: a crazy, back-stabbing pantheon of gods; a witty hero who is hunky in a realistic way; magic, both good and evil; and sword fights that bring to mind the battle manners of Indiana Jones. It's also a book that is great for male or female readers, which can't be said for many urban fantasies.[return][return]Atticus shines as the protagonist. Hearne really uses his Phoenix and Tempe setting to the fullest, and it was great to recognize so many of the places. A good bit of action takes places in and around the Phoenix Zoo, and I could picture everything perfectly from my visits there. As great as Atticus is, the supporting cast threatens to take over the show. His wolfhound, Oberon, speaks telepathically with him. I'm not a dog lover, but I loved Oberon. He's everything a good dog should be. There's also his neighbor, the widow MacDonagh, whose Irish sensibilities made me cackle out loud more than once.[return][return]Above all, the book just plain feels balanced. There is wit, but not too much. The action is consistent but is paced just right. The plots all twine together in just the right way, making it cozy but not predictable. It's a great book. Del Rey is doing a new release scheme on this series, too; HOUNDED came out in May, and the next two books come out in June and July. I think it's a good move on their part. Even though I have 80-some books in my to-read pile and I'm trying to avoid buying more (haha), I definitely want to complete this series in the coming months.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.