Beth Cato's Reviews > The Red Siren

The Red Siren by M.L. Tyndall

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: historical, fiction, romance, in, 2009, early-reviewers
Read in February, 2009

This is the first book I received through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program. The publisher provided the book free for blog reviewing purposes.[return][return]The Red Siren is a Christian historical romance taking place mostly in the vicinity of now-Charleston, South Carolina in the early 1700s. It was refreshing to read about this time period and place; I lived near Charleston for several years and was familiar with many place names in the book, so that made it feel more personal for me.[return][return]Faith Wescott is an admiral's daughter and, secretly, a pirate. When one of her sisters is snared in a cruel marriage, Faith vows that the same thing will not happen to herself or her two remaining sisters. To that end, she takes up piracy and commands her own pirate ship, plundering loot for the sake of her sisters' future. Captain Waite of the British Royal Navy lost his ship to the dastardly female pirate, The Red Siren, years before; when he is forced to take wardship of the Wescott girls during their father's absence, he begins falling for Faith, even though he has the prickly fear that he has met her before. Add in a downright evil and chauvinistic man vying for Faith's hand, and there is a lot at stake - including Faith dangling at the end of a noose if she's caught pirating.[return][return]The most implausible element of the story is Faith, as an admiral's daughter, acting as a pirate for over five years without being caught or having her absence noted by a guardian. Her ship has mostly-reformed pirates, too, and they take care never to hurt anyone - just take their stuff. That... doesn't sound right, as you'd think at least a few captains would put up a solid fight or that a ship would get sunk. Otherwise, though, the research is solid and the plot is very interesting. As a romance, of course, it's obvious that Faith and Dajon Waite will end up together, but there is a great deal of suspense along the way. The chapters are short, and most are cliffhangers to make one keep reading. The Christian element isn't too overbearing - reassuring for those of faith, but can be glossed over by those who want a good historical read - and I was impressed that the book tackled some serious issues well within the context of the time, including rape.[return][return]Even with the gentled pirates, this was an enjoyable book. This is one of the better Christian historical romances that I have read, and I am actually curious about the next two books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Siren.