Beth Cato's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Rob Thurman

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: in, 2011, urban, fantasy, cal-leandros, leandros, series
Read in March, 2011

This sixth volume in the dark urban fantasy series puts a new twist on the first person narration of Cal: he wakes up on a beach surrounded by dead monsters, and has no memory of who he is. All he knows is he's a killer, with a stash of knives and guns that would give airport security a heart attack. It may seem that amnesia is a soap opera-like trick to use, but Thurman puts it to excellent use. Cal has the chance for a fresh start without the bitterness of his past--though his sarcasm is well intact. He's happy. He believes he's the good guy. Even after his brother, Niko, finds him, he approaches life with a fresh perspective as he sets off to kill the bad guys.[return][return]He has no memory that he himself is the ultimate bad guy: half-Auphe, the monsters that make other monsters wet themselves.[return][return]I enjoyed this book and the fresh perspective it brought to Cal's character. I've enjoyed the whole series, but the last book bothered me on a few levels, and Cal's growing darkness was troublesome. Blackout reminded me of what I love about Thurman's writing, and why I'll keep reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.