Beth Cato's Reviews > The Shepherd's Tale

Apr 10, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: in, 2011, science, fiction, graphic-novel
Read in February, 2011

I found out this hardcover comic existed last fall thanks to another reviewer on 50bookchallenge, and then purchased it for my husband's Christmas... and I just so happened to read it as well.[return][return]This slender book provides a much-wanted back story for Shepherd Book, one of many memorable characters from the show Firefly and movie Serenity. I won't go into incredible detail on the content, but the reverse order of the tale ends at his childhood. It shows the hardship of his life in stark detail, but barely touches the surface. It's more of a teaser than a tell-all, and leaves a lot to be desired.[return][return]The artwork is good for the most part, though the small section showing the characters from the show was kind of odd. Kaylee and Jayne look great, but the others don't look right, especially Mal. It's also a very short book (about 50 pages) for the price, and is easy to read in one sitting (or as I did, during the commercial breaks of Castle). I would recommend reading it in a store rather than purchasing it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shepherd's Tale.