Beth Cato's Reviews > Against the Odds

Against the Odds by Elizabeth Moon

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: in, 2010, science, fiction, serrano, series
Read in July, 2010

This is book 7, the final volume in the Serrano Legacy series.[return][return]Chaos reigns across Familias Regnant space. The Speaker has again been assassinated. Part of the Fleet has mutinied, breaking prisoners out of high security Copper Mountain and commandeering several crafts. Common citizens feel oppressed by the rejuvenated upper class, and are unable to advance as superiors remain perpetually young and don't retire. Characters from throughout the series emerge--Lady Cecelia, Esmay Suiza, Heris Serrrano, Brun, and others--all seeking to unite the Familias before it's too late.[return][return]This book was stronger than the last, with lots of space action and events going on in several locations at once. The ending worked quite well--actually the last chapter was very touching. Still, I had some gripes. In a way, I like Esmay Suiza better when she was less mature; as a ship commander, her voice seems identical to that of Heris. Elizabeth Moon does a wonderful job of showing women in charge, both smart and sensitive, using their intuition to win battles. I do prefer her Vatta's War series simply because the writing is more mature and cohesive, and I can't say I disliked the Serrano Legacy, either.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the Odds.