Beth Cato's Reviews > Walking Dead

Walking Dead by C.E. Murphy

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: in, 2009, urban, fantasy, walker-papers
Read in September, 2009

Joanne Walker is back. And she's hosting a Halloween party and wearing a skimpy Xena costume. No, hell hadn't frozen over, but the party doesn't go too smoothly after a bunch of malevolent spirits arrive and try to take over a few bodies. Joanne steps in and saves the day with her shamanic powers, but things aren't all rosy yet. The next day is Halloween, after all. When a museum guard is murdered and an exhibit stolen - and exhibit featured the famed Black Caldron - Joanne investigates with her police and supernatural skills. As more of the living dead pop up around Seattle, one thing is very clear: it's going to be a very interesting Halloween.[return][return]This is the fourth book in the Walker Paper series, and brand new. I absolutely loved it. It has the frantic pace and wit of the predecessors. Actually, I'd say this one is as good as Urban Shaman, the first in the series. Joanne is just a delightful character - geeky, sarcastic, and still a bit reluctant about using her shaman powers. Her partner in the homicide division, the cross-dressing family man Billy Holliday, is tremendous fun, too. Also, I loved the use of the Black Caldron as The Prydain Chronicles are a childhood favorite of mine. This book was everything I hoped it would be. Now I just have to wait another year for the fifth book to come out. Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Dead.